VLC Media Player not only streams online video, but obviously, it is a great player for online audio streaming. Those online audio sources are generally from online radios. Most of the online radios come for free. To stream such radio stations to your favorite player, you just need to find the URL of the stream. It is actually fun to listen to online radio while browsing the internet or using your computer.
The broadcast URLs of online radios generally end in .m3u or .pls. Those are the public broadcast URLs of online radio stations. To get such station links, you have to search the websites and see whether they provide such urls. For example we will use the .pls link of BBC World Service which is: http://www.vpr.net/vpr_files/stream_playlists/vpr_bbc_mp3.pls.
Once you get hold of an .m3u or .pls broadcast link of your favorite radio station, follow these steps:
- From the menu bar of VLC Media Player click on Media > Open Network Stream [CTRL + N] is the shortcut.
- Paste your .m3u or .pls url in the “Please enter a network URL:” field.
- Click on the Play button or just hit enter.
- Your online radio will begin to stream and play live from VLC.
Some Suggested Online Radio Stations:
- BBC World Service News: http://www.vpr.net/vpr_files/stream_playlists/vpr_bbc_mp3.pls
- Amazing Smooth and Jazz: http://uk1.internet-radio.com:4086/listen.pls
- 181 FM: http://uplink.duplexfx.com:8022/listen.pls
- JPHiP Radio: http://radio.jphip.com:8800/listen.pls (KPOP)
- MastRadio: http://stream.mastradio.net:8000/listen.pls (Bollywood)
- Gold FM Radio: http://uk2.internet-radio.com:30092/listen.pls
- Full Vibes Underground Electronic Radio: http://radio.full-vibes.com:8023/listen.pls
- Party Vibe Radio: http://www.partyvibe.com:8000/listen.pls
- SomaFM: http://voxsc1.somafm.com:8802/listen.pls
- Just a Minute: http://stream.beatradar.no:8007/listen.pls (Comedy)
*There are literally hundreds of thousands of online streaming radios out there. The choices are huge. You just need to find the ones that you like.