VLC Media Player flawlessly streams online radio programs to your computer. It’s easy and quick. Did you also know that VLC Media Player is great for saving online radio streams as MP3 files in your PC? You can record those streaming radio shows as audio files to listen to them later. This way you won’t me missing any online radio programs even if you are busy.
You can easily configuration VLC to download live radio shows to your computer while you are away or busy. Then, when you come back, you can tune in to the show without missing anything. This is one great feature that VLC has been providing to its users.
To record and save/download online radio streams as MP3 using VLC:
- Open an online radio stream from Media > Open Network Stream [Shortcut: CTRL + N]
- In “Open Media” dialog box, paste in your .pls or .m3u online audio streaming URL.
- At the bottom of the “Open Media” dialog box you will find a small downward facing arrow right next to the Play button. Click on that arrow to bring up the streaming option. Then Click on “Stream”. The shortcut for this is ALT + S.
- “Stream Output” wizard will open. The source is already entered, so just hit the “Next” button.
- In “Destination Setup” make sure that your new destination is selected as “File”, then click on Add.
- Immediately you will reach the file name selection box. Click on the “Browse” button to browse to a location where you will be saving your audio.
- In the save file dialog box, give a file name of your choice like radio.mp3 and click on save. Then click on Next.
- Transcoding Options are displayed. We do not require to use transcoding on this. So uncheck the check box of “Activate Transcoding”. Press next to continue.
- The final step is “Option Setup”. Leave it as it is. Stream all elementary streams is left unchecked. Click on “Stream” button.
- Streaming will begin as soon as the connection with the radio show is established. This happens really quickly. You will know that your program is being saved by looking at the elapsed time in VLC’s controls. That just means that the number of seconds and minutes will add-on.
- After a certain amount of time, when you are done with recording the stream, from the VLC’s playing control bar hit the stop button to stop the saving of online audio stream.
- To listen to your show, navigate to the location where you saved the audio MP3 file. Just open it, preferably with VLC Media Player.
*Note: You are done with recording and downloading radio shows. Remember that not all online radios are legal to download. You should not record copyrighted programs that you do not hold the ownership of.