VLC Media Player allows us to easily stream videos from online sources. Online videos from video hosting sites like YouTube, DailyMotion, LiveLeak etc can be opened and played from VLC Media Player. It can stream audio radio as well, but this post deals with only streaming video. Streaming videos is really simple and easily.
To stream online videos to your machine using VLC Media Player follow these steps:
- Get the url from the address bar of your browser for the online video that you want to play. As an example we are going to use the url: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51a_1383872272 which is a video from live leak.
- In VLC Media Player, on the menu bar click on Media and then Open Network Stream [CTRL + N] is the shortcut.
- Paste the video URL in the “Please enter a network URL” input field.
- In the bottom, make sure to click on the Play button.
- Depending upon your internet bandwidth, VLC Media Player will begin playing the online video right from the local player.
In VLC for Android (app)
- Click on the hamburger menu (three lines on the top-left)
- Tap on Stream
- Input your video address in the box
- Hit the go button.
Why Play Online Videos using VLC?
- You will get to use all the features of VLC media player on the online video that you are playing.
- Features include: Playing speed, subtitles, using playlists for continuous videos, several audio and video effects to name a few.
- You will also skip annoying advertisements placed on videos when you play them online.
- You will not require browser plugins like flash which is required for online video players.
- In conclusion, you will have more control over the video that you will be playing. But one limitation is that you won’t be able to select the quality of videos as VLC seems to choose the best quality automatically.
Note: It should be noted on whether all the videos are legal to be played via VLC or not. Some sites depend upon video advertising and when you are skipping it using VLC, it might be against their TOS.