If you use VLC for Android, the hit audio, video player and streamer for smartphones, then you must have come across the three major gestures for the player. They are: (1) Change Brightness, (2) Seek and (3) Change Volume. These three are accessible when you open up a video. The tip also shows up automatically on the screen explaining where and how you’d have to drag your finger across the screen to achieve the said function. These big three gestures are mostly used when viewing videos using the VLC app for Android.
The on-screen tips that display every time when you open up a video file (pictured above) are self-explanatory. If you did forget those gestures, then this little guide will help you to figure it out.
Step 1: Open up a Video.
Step 2: The on-screen tips will show up. Dismiss it by pressing Got it, dismiss this.
Step: 3 Use the gestures
And here is how you use them while the video is playing.
- Control Brightness: Tap, hold and drag up or down on the left side of the screen. Drag up and the brightness will go up and do the opposite and the screen will darken.
- Seek: Navigate the video. Tap, hold and drag left or right in the middle of the screen. Move your finger towards the left and the player will rewind the video and take you back. Move towards the right and the player will fast forward the video. You can go to the exact position that you want. This has to be one of the most used features in the app. Another bonus tip while seeking: Tap on the right side of the screen twice and it will go 10 seconds forward in the video. Tap on the left side of the screen twice and you rewind 10 seconds back into the video.
- Change Volume: Tap, hold and drag your finger on the far right side of the screen. Move your finger up and you will find the volume increasing and if you move your finger down, the sound will go down as well.
Turning off or on These 3 Gestures
If you want to turn off these gestures or turn them back on, follow these steps:
- Tap on … More (bottom-right)
- Click on ⚙ Settings.
- Scroll down, and tap on Video under Extra settings.
- Scroll down and check off or on the Volume gesture, Brightness gesture, and Double tap to seek option under Controls.