If VLC Media Player is your favorite media playing software, you would want a lot if not all of media files to auto open with VLC Media Player. When you double click on a media file, you want the file to open with VLC Media Player naturally. You do not always want to right click on a file, click on open with and then select VLC Media Player to open with it. This would waste a few seconds of your previous time, everytime you have to open a media file.
To make VLC Media Player your default media software, you will have to change file associations. You would do this to remove associations from other players such as Windows Media Player, for example. When you switch file extensions such as .mp4 or .wav to auto open with VLC Media Player, you are saving your self some time and trouble. You won’t have to close some other player time and again when those software try to play your media. VLC offers a quick solution to change file associations to and from VLC.
To change file associations in VLC Media Player follow these steps:
From Options Within VLC
- From your VLC Media Player menu, click on “Tools” and then on “Preferences”. [Shortcut: CTRL + P]
- In “Interface Settings”, use the scroll bar on the right to scroll down.
- As you scroll to the bottom, under “Operating System Integration” heading, you will find a button that says “Set up associations…”. Click on it.
- A Windows settings screen will pop up. From there, you can select the extensions that you would like VLC to open by default.
- You can select the desired extensions individually or you can just click select all to make VLC the default for all those listed media file types.
- Click on Save and you are done.
In Windows 10
The file association options available in VLC might not always work for all versions of Windows. In Windows 10, you have to use the main Settings to change what files are opened by VLC.
- Click on the Start button and then choose Settings.
- Click on Default Apps.
- From here you can choose the default apps that can open your common files.
- Change the option in Video player and Music player to from their default one to VLC Media Player.
The settings are saved automatically. Now the default player for all your media files will be VLC. Here are additional details on the different ways to change your default media player back to VLC in Windows 10.