There are more than a couple of shortcuts in VLC Media Player. They are created to make your life that much simpler. For quick use of the player and its functions, the shortcuts come quite in handy. There are many of those shortcuts. The default buttons to press to access those shortcuts are simple enough.
Some prefer to set their own shortcut buttons so that they may remember it easily. Some just don’t like the default shortcut buttons. Other shortcuts interfere with the default Windows or OS shortcuts. For example: the shortcut to move the currently playing movie forward or backward using the keys CTRL + ALT + LEFT or RIGHT ARROW interferes with the default Windows display alignment shortcut. Unexpected results happen due to this.
There are options in this software to edit those default shortcut keys. To do so:
- In the Menu Bar click on Tools and then “Preferences” [CTRL + P is the shortcut].
- On the left of the preferences option go to “Hotkeys”. Different set of hotkeys/shortcuts are shown.
- To edit a shortcut double click on one of those Action or Hotkey.
- A “Hotkey Change” option is displayed. Press the key combination to change it. For example press Ctrl and K key together or just K key.
- If the shortcut is already used up then a warning is displayed.
- Otherwise the change is made. Click on the “Save” button on the bottom right to finalize the change.
*Note: There is also a “Reset Preferences” button to reset all the changes that you have made to the VLC preferences menu including the shortcut / hotkey change.