Bookmarks in VLC allows you to mark certain parts of a video or audio file. You will be able to mark a certain place of a media file. Then using the same bookmark feature, you will be able to move to that certain place. This feature allows you to mark your favorite part(s) of media files so that you can navigate to that portion of the file easily.
Just like the name, this feature is similar to saving bookmarks in your browser. Just like saving a favorite website for easy access, you save your favorite parts of a video or even audio for easy access. Then you can move to that part whenever you want with just a few clicks. You can have multiple bookmarks of a single media file if you want.
To create bookmarks:
- To set up a bookmark for your media file, open up the file and navigate to your favorite part.
- Hit CTRL + B or from the menu bar click on Playback > Custom Bookmark > Manage.
- “Edit Bookmarks” option will open. In that box, click on create button to create a bookmark at that time.
To open up a saved bookmark:
From the menu click on Playback > Custom Bookmark and then click on the saved bookmark that you would like to navigate to. You can also open up the bookmark menu [CTRL + B] and double click on a particular bookmark to shift the playback to that point.
To delete particular bookmark or all bookmarks:
- Click on Playback > Custom Bookmark > Manage or just hit CTRL + B
- Click and select a bookmark that you want to delete. SHIFT clicking or CTRL clicking will allow you to select multiple bookmarks at once.
- Hit the “Delete” button and the selected bookmarks will be deleted.
- Hit the “Clear” button and all the bookmarks will be deleted even if they are not selected.
Note: The bookmarks are lost the next time you open the player. If you want to keep them, try this special trick to play and skip media from specific start to end points.