When some videos are too dark and you can’t figure out what is what, then the simple solution is to change its brightness and contrast. The same goes for bright videos that appear faded; you need to darken it. You can either increase the light of your screen, monitor or TV or you can also do it using your video player. There is a simple feature in VLC that allows you to increase the brightness and contrast of videos that are currently playing. It’s a simple option that you can access and then drag the sliders for the change.
Here are the detailed steps to increase or decrease brightness and contrast for the currently playing video using VLC Media Player:
- In the VLC menu, click on Tools.
- Choose the first option, Effects and Filters. [Shortcut: CTRL + E or Command + E]
- Under Adjustment and Effects, navigate to Video Effects.
- Make sure you are on the Essentials tab under it.
- Check the checkbox that says Image adjust.
- Click and drag the sliders to change brightness, contrast, and other options.
You will find that there are several options related to video appearance that you can change. The major one is brightness. Drag the slider to the right to increase the light and towards the left to darken the images. You can also do the same with contrast.
There are additional features like changing the hue, saturation, and gamma. These are useful too if you know what you are doing. Try dragging the slider of Gamma towards the right and notice how clear the video becomes. This option is also used to increase the visibility of the video. Find the best settings that work for you, then close the adjustment and effects window to continue playing your media.