VLC Media Player is best for not only playing videos from different sources but it can be used as a video editing software. You can cut or trim any videos. That means you can select a certain part of your video and cut it out to a smaller clip. You can easily select a beginning point and then an ending point. Then, VLC will automatically cut and save from point A to point B to your PC.
VLC might not be the most advanced video editing software but it can easily cut videos. Advanced video software requires advanced skills to perform even basic tasks like trimming a video. But VLC is simple enough to allow you to trim parts of your videos. You will never have to keep a lengthy video file because of some clips in the video that you really don’t want to delete. Just save your favorite segments and leave out the rest. This will also allow you to easily share videos with friends and family via different mediums.
To cut parts of a video using VLC Media Player:
- From your normal VLC screen, using the menu bar go to View > Advanced Controls.
- Recording buttons will appear above your normal player control buttons.
- Open up your video that you are looking to cut.
- Play the video or scroll around to the starting point from where you want to trim.
- At the starting point click on the record button. It is the round red button.
- Play the video or move it frame by frame using the “Frame by Frame” button for more accuracy.
- After you reach the ending point, hit the record button again.
Your trimmed video will be saved in your “My Videos” folder in Windows. In Win 7 it is found under C:\Users\Username\Videos folder if Windows is installed in C: drive. For other OS just visit your documents folder or your user folder and find the default videos folder. You will easily find your edited video there. File names can be something like vlc-record-2013-11-16-14h25m16s-vlc-streaming-audio.avi-.avi if you need to search for it.