If you want to add a logo or watermark while playing videos in VLC Media Player, then you can just use the available effects and filters. The overlay video effect is what comes into use. This effect will allow you to load a .jpg or .png picture or logo. The position of that logo over the video can be customized. You can also set the transparency of that watermark so that it does not block the currently playing video file. If you like, you can also add a text overlay.
The “Overlay” video effect can be found in VLC Media player under Tools > Effects and Filters > Video Effects > Overlay. You will have to activate it by clicking on check boxes and then you can set the options.
If you need full details to use this feature, here are the steps:
- In the menu bar, click on Tools > Effects and Filters. [Shortcut: CTRL + E].
- Click on the tab that says “Video Effects” and then click on “Overlay”.
- Check the “Add Logo” checkbox.
- Click the three dots besides the logo textbox. Browse and open the overlay image.
- Use the “Top” and “Left” options to specify the position of the image.
- Drag the “Transparency” bar from full towards none to increase transparency.
If you want to add a text overlay:
- In Overlay Video effects, check the box that says “Add text”.
- Input the Text in the available field.
- From the position dropdown, choose a position like “Left”, “Right”, “Top-Left”, “and Bottom-Left” etc.
After you’re satisfied, press the “Close” Button to save your changes.
You may be interested in: How to Hide or Blur Logos of Videos Playing in VLC
- Make sure you have a .png or .jpg image file to use as a watermark.
- Open a video file and keep it paused to see the instant preview of the image or text overlay.
- For text overlay, there are only eight possible positions: Center, Left, Right, Top, Bottom, Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Left and Bottom-Right.
- There are no transparency options for text overlay.
Making the Edits Permanent
The logos, texts, and watermarks that you overlay on the video can be permanently edited and placed into the media file. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- From the menu bar, go to Media > Convert / Save. [CTRL + R]
- Click on Add, and browse and add the current video.
- Click on Convert/Save.
- In the next step, edit the profile settings first
- Navigate to Video codec > Filters tab
- Check the ☑ Logo video filter and hit Save.
- Choose an appropriate destination location and filename and press Start.
- Press Play in VLC to begin the process.
Once done, the logo will be added to your video permanently.